History of Straith Clinic

1936rhinoplasty

1930’s Rhinoplasty performed by Claire Straith, M.D., D.D.S.

aboutusCLSRES

Claire Straith, M.D. and Richard Straith, M.D. breaking ground in 1952 for Straith Clinic and Straith Hospital in Detroit.

aboutusESRES

Enrique Sabbagh, M.D. and Richard Straith, M.D., discussing plastic and cosmetic surgery cases.

aboutusESWS

William Sabbagh, M.D. joins his father, Enrique Sabbagh, M.D., to continue the Straith Clinic tradition of plastic and cosmetic surgery.

The Straith Clinic, one of the nation’s leading plastic surgery centers serving the Metropolitan Detroit area offers patients 70 years of continuous cosmetic surgery experience and a reputation built on a high standard of patient care.

The history of our practice began shortly after World War I, when a small group of physicians came together in Paris, France, to pool information, experiences and techniques developed through treating injuries during the war. This small group of physicians eventually founded what was to become the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Among this handful of pioneer practitioners from around the world was Claire L. Straith, DDS, MD.

1936 to 1951

Dr. Claire Straith was a Detroit plastic surgeon who spent a great deal of his practice treating victims of automobile and industrial accidents and improving birth defects. He was particularly interested in the horrific injuries he witnessed involving automobiles. His efforts to educate the community regarding automobile safety included discussions with Walter Chrysler and Preston Tucker. Eventually, he was instrumental in convincing the automobile industry to improve design flaws and install padded dashboards and safety belts in cars. Due in part to Dr. Claire Straith’s efforts, the auto industry eventually adapted many safety features that help prevent millions of injuries and save thousands of lives today.

1952 to 1957

Dr. Claire Straith’s status as an innovative thinker and pioneer plastic surgeon put Detroit, Michigan, on the plastic surgery map. He moved the Straith Clinic from the David Whitney Building to West Grand Blvd in Detroit and, in addition, founded Straith Hospital to provide patients with a specialty hospital for plastic surgery patients. As his career progressed, his reputation in the plastic surgery community continued to grow. The Straith Clinic hosted many plastic surgeons from around the world to watch and learn his original techniques. Dr. Claire Straith devised a suturing method that would leave the least possible scarring which has since been taught to surgeons throughout the United States.

Richard Straith, M.D., Dr. Claire Straith’s son, was the next generation of plastic surgeons at the Straith Clinic. Many surgical innovations have been developed by the medical staff of the Straith Clinic. When specialized instruments were needed which did not exist, they designed them. Many of these instruments and techniques are used and practiced worldwide today.

1958 to 1990

Following the untimely death of Claire Straith, M.D., in 1958, Richard Straith, M.D., along with several associates including Enrique Sabbagh, M.D., continued to develop a national reputation as leaders in the field of plastic, cosmetic, and reconstructive surgery. The Straith Clinic was home to a training program for plastic surgery and continued to host teaching seminars for plastic surgeons from around the world.

1990 -1996

After the retirement of Richard Straith M.D., Enrique Sabbagh, M.D., continued the leadership of the Straith Clinic. Prior to joining the practice in 1959, Dr. Enrique Sabbagh had trained under the mentorship of John Lewis, M.D., past president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). While at the Straith Clinic, Dr. Enrique Sabbagh developed one of the largest cosmetic surgery practices in the Midwest. During Straith Clinic’s sponsored seminars, he taught surgical procedures to over 25 residents who are now practicing in thirteen countries. He has written numerous articles on cosmetic surgery techniques and has been asked to lecture at national conventions of the ASPS.

1996 to present

In 1996, due to continuing growth and advances in surgical technology, the Straith Clinic relocated to a new, modern facility in Bingham Farms, Michigan. After extensive plastic surgery training, Enrique Sabbagh’s son, William Sabbagh, M.D., joined his father in practice. William Sabbagh, M.D. is the recipient of many years of plastic surgery experience and mentorship in addition to his formal plastic surgery education.

Today, the Straith Clinic is under the leadership of William Sabbagh, M.D., who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS). He directs a staff of over 20 medical support professionals, maintains an accredited office surgical facility, and is on the staff at three premier Michigan hospitals. Dr William Sabbagh’s plastic surgery specialty is cosmetic surgery of the face, nose, breast, and body.

We achieve cosmetic surgery success through on-going education of our plastic surgery medical staff and specialists and by adopting new and improved plastic surgery methods. Our state-of-the-art plastic surgery center has been designed with each patient's comfort, safety, and convenience in mind. We aim to keep fees affordable and we offer a free confidential consultation with our plastic surgeon. Financing is available.